Thursday 23 April 2015

A Mythic Greek Army

Like almost every wargamer I have ever met, I have trouble staying focused on one game/rules set/time period. Even with my own game coming out in a few months, I am always thinking about forces I could build for other games. Well, once again, my will-power has cracked, and I have decided to embark on a new project.

I really love Dan Mersey’s Lion Rampant rules, and I’m looking forward to the fantasy version, Dragon Rampant, coming out later this year. I decided I needed an army that could work for both. At the same time, I’ve had a hankering to paint some Greek myth figures, as Greek mythology is one of my enduring loves. So…I’ve decided to put the two together.

Lion Rampant is actually a set of medieval rules, but the troop types and rules will work just as well for ancients, especially the Hollywood Hoplites I am imagining.

So, here is the army I am envisioning:

2 Units of 6 Heroic Hoplites
1 Unit of 12 Light Infantry
1 Unit of 6 Satyrs
1 Unit of 6 Centaurs

So, 36 miniatures in total. It’s a lot, at the rate I’m painting these days, but far from impossible. My goal is to try and get this force onto the table quickly. That way I have a ‘base’ army. I can then go back and replace units with better ones or bring in some other units for variation, but at least I have a force I can play with in the meantime.

The other great thing about this army is that I already have most of the pieces to construct it (thanks Phil!) I’ve got a box of Wargames Factory Greek Heavy Infantry. I really like this set as it is the only plastic Ancient Greek miniatures set on the market that allows for heroic poses. I’ve also got a box of Wargames Factory Numidians. These figures are not so great…but they’ll do for the Light Infantry for the moment.

For the Satyrs, I’m going to pick up a pack of the Wargames Foundry Satyrs with bows (these will serve as bidowers (sort of ranger types) in the game. 

The only group I’m not sure about is the Centaurs. I’m just not particularly taken with anything that is available on the market at the moment. I might have a stab at converting my own…

3 comments:

  1. Very creative, it's a really good idea for a force and I'm looking forward to seeing it come together. Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will hold fire for the moment, but you have given me loads of ideas.

    I might look at doing all centaur army IF I can find enough figures with the right poses. Or be bothered to convert like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing this army come together.

    ReplyDelete