Sunday 3 August 2014

The Pledge

At the beginning of July, I declared that I would refrain from buying any books or miniatures for the month, and I am glad to report that I succeeded. In truth, between work, the baby, and the near constant stream of family and friends coming to see said baby, I had little time to think about it. I did, however, managed to read one book to completion (and very nearly a second) and to paint six miniatures. This month, I have decided to take ‘The Pledge’.

The Pledge is an idea that sprung up on wargaming forums a few years back. At its most basic, it is a declaration that you will paint more miniatures than you buy over a given time period (usually a year). There are lots of variations on the idea, but essentially, it is an attempt to actually decrease the number of unpainted miniatures a wargamers owns (often referred to as ‘the lead mountain’).

I have decided to extend the idea and have it cover my books as well. So...

I pledge that for the rest of 2014, I will read more books than I buy, and I will paint more miniatures than I buy. 

It’s a clean slate starting today; I have not painted, read, or bought anything. I’ll let you know how I get on.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea.
    I will join you with that same pledge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say it ain't so Joe buy less books than you read in a year? Man that's tough. Congratulations on last month though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support guys. I suspect it will be tough. I'm more worried about the books - just because I'm more often in a book store than I am a gaming shop. I should note that books from the library, or gifts in either category will not count as 'buying', so in theory I could still end up on the plus side.

    My one major worry is that GW will release a Battle of the Five Armies Box Set with 50 minis or so...not sure what I'll do then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, start painting then!
      I'm shure you can paint 50 figures before the release of the Battle of the Five Armies box.

      Delete